Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Vacation

I've had a couple of people ask about my vacation, so I guess I'll write about it. Wasn't terribly exciting or anything which is why I haven't mentioned anything. The drive there & back was long, boring and painful. Painful because my knees started to hurt from sitting so damn long. Took about 15 hrs over two days to make the drive. If I never see another tree or corn field for awhile I'll be a happy camper.

Personally, I don't like Myrtle Beach. It's too "touristy" which is something I loathe. I'd rather take a vacation in the mountains or in a major city, some place that doesn't seem to exclusively cater to the tourists. All the cheesy stores with their cheap ass merchandise. I can't believe people actually shop at these places.

I did like the ex-inlaw's place. It's just a one level, single family home with 2 bedrooms and a den, about 1500 sq ft. If I could find a house like that here, I'd buy it. It was the perfect size for just the kiddie and I, and I liked the bedrooms being on opposite sides of the house. I hate all these houses that group the bedrooms together. If I'm getting my freak on, I don't want the kiddie on the other side of the wall where she can listen in. Call me crazy, but I like my privacy in those situations.

Of course being the tourists we were, we went to Broadway at the Beach, which has nothing to do with Broadway, nor is it on the beach so I have no clue why it's called that. It's just a bunch of stores, restaurants and other attractions strung out along a boardwalk, seemingly in the middle of nowhere. There is the Ripley's Aquarium which was similar to the one at Mall of America, but the sharks seemed to be bigger. There was also a mini-golf place that we made the mistake of going to when it seemed like it was 100 degrees outside.

Across the street, but I think it's still considered a part of the whole Broadway thing was the Nascar Cafe. We didn't eat there, we just went to the speedpark to drive the go-carts. I'm a very good driver but some of those fuckers were out for blood and kept making everyone else crash. I should have followed suit and rammed my car into them, but for once I was actually following the rules.

We went to one of the outlet malls there to do some back-to-school clothes shopping, hoping we'd find things there that weren't available up here. The kiddie bought several shirts and a skirt. Unfortunately it was again about 100 degrees that day, so we didn't bother walking the whole length of the mall to see what they had. We just hit a couple of stores, including Guess & PacSun, and then headed back to the house.

We only spent one day at the beach. Since neither of us are working on becoming the next skin cancer victim, we didn't need to spend multiple days there baking in the sun. One day was enough to enjoy the waves and the wonderful feeling of sand jammed into our ass cracks. If I ever miss that feeling, I'll go out to the car and scoop out the ton of sand that somehow made its way in there despite our best efforts to wash it all off and rub it on my ass.

The one thing we wanted to do most, we didn't get to…go on the dolphin cruises. We made a reservation to go on the closest one, but when we showed up, the steering of the boat was broken so they couldn't take us out. The next day it still wasn't fixed and then on the third try, they called while we were on our way out to say they cancelled the cruises for that day too. Unfortunately, the 3rd day was the day we had to leave. The kiddie was disappointed, but not nearly as much as I would have expected. I think by then she was as interested in getting the hell out of that place as I was.

We can always go back any time. The ex-inlaws have given us an open invitation so we might go back for a week next summer. Neither of us is in a hurry to go back, but because it's such a cheap vacation for us, we might just go anyway. Not many places we can go and visit, have a free place to stay and get our meals plus activities paid for.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

yaaay, you're back :)

sorry it wasn't that exciting, but at least you do have a place to stay that's free and not anywhere near home-that's definately a plus :)

my bf's aunt has a cottage, that we used to go to when we were about 17 that had no doors, at all. that made it REALLY hard to "get your freak on, there". maybe that was the point though, oops-lol :D

Anyway, glad you're back.

5:57 PM, August 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home