Monday, January 21, 2008

Finally getting my tag done

Over a month ago I was tagged by Anonymous Mom to name a song that inspires me to write. I never got around to writing a post about it because frankly my mind has been elsewhere this whole time, and I couldn't think of any song that had that level of inspiration over me.

After much thought, and a whole lot of listening to one particular song lately, I think I've finally come up with one that I can say inspires me to write. It even inspires me to try and write some positive affirmations to hang around the bathroom mirror and/or the computer screen.

I haven't done that yet, hang any affirmations, but the more I listen to this song, the more I want to. The song is "Rite of Spring" by Angels & Airwaves (click the link to listen to the full song on You Tube, there isn't a video for it yet). It's about accepting the past, as fucked up as it may have been, and using it to make a better future. There are two parts from the chorus in particular that get to me the most. The first one is...

If I had a chance for another try
I wouldn't change a thing

It's made me all of who I am inside

If I had a chance for another try myself, I would change everything or most of it at least. I'm not big on envy, I think it's a wasteful emotion, but I am envious of people that can view their lives this way. It denotes a level of strength, determination and perseverance that I don't possess.

The second, the one that has really got me thinking of positive affirmations, is...

And everyday I wake
I tell myself a little harmless lie
The whole wide world is mine

Writing an affirmation along the vein of "the whole wide world is mine", is something I think I should finally start doing. It's been suggested to me before, in therapy, in DBT, but I never gave much thought to it, mostly because I share a bathroom with my daughter. When she was younger, I knew she wouldn't be able to grasp the concept behind why weird notes would be hung all around the mirror. But now that she's older, I think she might actually appreciate seeing them there, even if at the same time she thinks it's a little weird.

So yeah, that's the song that currently inspires me to write. And while I'm on the subject of Angels & Airwaves, I've finally updated the music video on my site. When I left off with posting videos, I was going through the bands that formed out of Blink 182. First was the short-lived side project from 2002, Boxcar Racer, which is the video I've had up there for quite some time.

After Blink 182 formally disbanded in 2005, Tom Delonge went on to form Angels & Airwaves. The other members, Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker, went on to form +44. Seems most fans of Blink have picked sides, with neither of the new bands reaching the level of success that Blink enjoyed, which seems odd to me. I do prefer Angels & Airwaves, but I also love +44. Both have their unique qualities about them, but they also share a noticeable similarity to Blink.

The video I chose to post is from Angels & Airwaves second cd, I-Empire, which was originally set to be released on my birthday last year, but was delayed a couple of weeks. It's hard to say which cd I like better, this new one or their debut, We Don't Need To Whisper. I just know I can't wait to see them again live, which I will be doing the night of February 24th.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home