Friday, July 12, 2013

New home

It's now July and I'm living in a new apartment. It took a lot of paperwork, blood, sweat and tears, but I'm here. The building is brand new, so I'm the first person to have this apartment. It's nice and since I was able to choose a corner unit, I have lots of windows. I like that they didn't skimp on any of the details just because it's housing built specifically for people with disabilities, mental and physical.

The rent is doable, mostly because all utilities are included except cable. I'm certainly going to get cable, because without it I can't get any channels, not even the local ones. My daughter is letting me borrow the TV her and her boyfriend had in their apartment and right now I have it hooked up to my DVD player, so I can at least watch all the movies I have. Yesterday I started watching season 1 of Grey's Anatomy, since I haven't watched it in a long time.

For the most part I'm unpacked. After having a lot of my belongings packed away in boxes for 10 years, it took awhile to sort through everything. I actually did that before moving in. Threw a lot of junk out and also made a huge pile of stuff to be donated. Still had lots of packing to do because I had to pack everything I'd accumulated in the last 10 years that wasn't in boxes yet. I worked on it slowly though, so I wouldn't get overwhelmed at all that had to get done.

My daughter and her boyfriend helped me move in. I wasn't able to bring any of my own furniture (the apartment came partially furnished), but we still had a lot to move. Got extremely bruised, sore and bloody, but we got everything moved out of one house and into the other in about 5 hours. Even got the rental truck back in time to get my deposit back, since that is the only cash I had left to live on for the month.

Now it's just a matter of adjusting to my surroundings and being alone. They are going to have wifi throughout the building, but it's not up and running yet, so for now I have to come down to the first floor and use the computers they have set up for people that don't have them. Don't understand why they didn't set up the wifi when they were setting these up because these have internet access, but I suppose I shouldn't complain. I have access, even if it isn't in the comfort of my own apartment where I can be alone.

Maybe tomorrow I'll bring the cord for my phone down and post the pictures I took of my new home.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Purple Pineapple said...

I'd love to see pics of your new home!!! I hope you're adjusting well and having a great time. Moving can be so stressful so I hope you're also taking time for you to unwind and relax.

9:00 PM, July 12, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great news! I am so happy for you!

4:14 AM, July 13, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home