Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Proud mommy moment

Wasn't in the mood to write about this yesterday given how pissed off I was, but there was some good news. My daughter is having her first poem published. Her English teacher insisted that all of her students enter one of two writing contests, a poetry one or an essay one. I didn't even know about it until the kiddie brings me a letter she received yesterday at school saying that her poem was one of the entries selected to be published in a book with others written by entrants from across the country. Once all the proof sheets for the poems have been returned by the end of this month, they will pick the three best poems and winners will receive savings bonds and a free copy of the book. I'm so damn proud of her! Here's the poem she submitted:

Movie Screen Life
For the first time these tears I cry,
and my pain feel so unreal.
Like a movie going slowly by,
for the characters to feel.

I sit there watching scenes go by
as I shout up at the screen,
"What do you think you're doing?
Go talk to him if you want to be seen!"

But sadly, unlike movies do
this story has no end.
It still has many bumps to travel,
still many twisting bends.

Maybe as this tale goes on
I'll find a few good friends,
and they'll help me see if we can't
bring this blue chapter to an end.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats. I know that you're very proud. Hopefully she'll continue to write and have a future in it. Great poem.

3:27 PM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger Nicole said...

That's awesome! Tell her congratulations!!!!

(((Sid)))

Princess

3:34 PM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger Handsome B. Wonderful said...

Wow!!! Great poem!!!!!! That is sooooo fantastic!! I congratulate her and you!

Happy day!! Yeyyyyy!!!!!!!!

5:14 PM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger mizeeyore said...

*applauds* congrats to your daughter Sid! she definitely has her momma's writing skills!

sorry you were in such a shitty mood yesterday...i guess today was my turn....

IM me if you want to chat, ok?

Hugs,
Genelle

7:26 PM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger Maggs said...

OMG that is so cool! You have got to be beaming!!!

10:18 PM, January 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home