Sunday, December 17, 2006

What would you grab?

In a strange twist of fate, I received a text message today from a guy I know from the chatroom I recently posted about. If I thought he knew about this blog I'd be paranoid he was reading it, but I know he doesn't have a clue about it, nor does he have any interest in the whole blogging thing on any level.

He is one of two people that I kind of keep in touch with outside of the chatroom, two people that have been completely honest with me from day one and have actually earned some level of trust. This guy is married with three sons and lives in Washington state. There's nothing between us other than friendship, for numerous reasons. Mainly because he's happily married, but also because he's more like a brother to me and definitely not my type. His wife is well aware of who I am and I've chatted with her before as well. I think he got real lucky when he landed her, something I love to kid him about.

Anyway, he was bored and decided to check in on me since he hasn't seen me online in awhile. He's sitting in the cold & dark without power, one of the thousands still without electricity from the storms that came through the northwest. Said he's been without power for three days now. I asked why he wasn't in a hotel, but he said everything is booked. He sent his wife and kids off to a friend's house but wanted to stay behind and keep an eye on his house and belongings. Told him if it gets too cold to get the heck out of there. None of his stuff is worth freezing to death over.

Which got me thinking...If I had to desert my home and had half an hour or less to grab whatever I could and whatever I didn't take would be lost to me forever, what items would I want. This of course doesn't include my daughter cuz she's my #1 priority and it's a given she'd be coming with me.

In no particular order, I think I'd grab...

  • The car of course cuz I'd need something to put everything in
  • Our rabbit
  • My computer
  • My meds & med stash
  • The boxes of photographs
  • The important documents like social security cards, birth certificates, etc. The stuff that probably should be in a safety deposit box somewhere, but I at least have in a fire-proof safe.
  • Half my clothes
  • Most of my shoes
  • My dvd's cuz I have a lot of them. The cd's I can leave since most have been downloaded into i-tunes on the computer.
  • My collection of concert ticket stubs
  • The box of bankruptcy paperwork and overdue bills

Think that's about it. I could just be having a brain fart, but I can't really think of anything else that's too important to leave behind. I look around and most of what I see just makes me think "that can be replaced". I'd love to have my entertainment center, but if it was a matter of getting out quickly, there's no way I could get it out of the house.

So, if anyone's interested in responding, what would you grab?

6 Comments:

Blogger annabkrr said...

After I knew the kiddies were out, I'd grab Teddy. I've had him since birth and I'd probably die if I lost him.

2:18 PM, December 18, 2006  
Blogger Polar Bear said...

1) Passport and wallet
2) Polar the teddy

Everything else is pretty much stuff the insurance will cover.

2:54 PM, December 18, 2006  
Blogger Dawn said...

that's a tough question, and one i think about often-you know, just in case. well, here's what i'd grab

1) my 5 cats and the cat carriers for them.

2) passport, banking info, all the important ID/documents

3) my camera

4) ipod( because it has all my contact info in it)

5) cell phone

6) as many clothes/shoes as possible

5:00 PM, December 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

better grab a roll of toilet paper ... just in case ;-)

9:44 PM, December 18, 2006  
Blogger Handsome B. Wonderful said...

First things that come to mind are photos, official docs and my paintings.

4:02 PM, December 19, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's an interesting question. I guess I'd say my two kitties and my photo albums. And if I had more time, maybe I'd pack a suitcase with a few warm clothes and toiletries.

5:26 PM, December 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home