Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Trying to understand

Last night I went to a DBSA meeting. It was only the second one I've attended in more than two years. I often forget this organization even exists, despite having a link to their website in my sidebar, which is why I've only managed to get to two of their meetings. Both have been educational ones where they had speakers on topics that interested me, the latest being about anger.

While anger is certainly something I struggle with, it wasn't the only reason I went to the meeting. I also went because I really wanted to get more information about Bipolar. Fortunately, the group is held at a mental health facility where no one knows me or my history because I've never had the misfortune of being locked up at the hospital next door and I've never used their outpatient services either. The anxiety of being in a room full of strangers was overwhelming, but on the upside, the anonymity made me feel as if the feedback I was receiving was genuinely honest and bias-free.

After the speaker was finished, I grabbed a book they had about Bipolar and began reading it. I'm trying to figure out if Bipolar fits. At times I think it does, and other other times...not so much. I realize everyone keeps telling me to quit focusing in on the diagnosis, but for me, knowing what's really wrong is part of working towards a plan to get better. If I had physical symptoms that were incapacitating, I'd sure as hell keep going to the doctor until I got a proper diagnosis. I wouldn't just assume a lump in my breast is malignant, get my boob chopped off and undergo chemotherapy. The proper diagnosis is important and I think that applies to ANY illness.

As I sat reading the book, one of the people that helps run the group came over to talk to me. Turns out she remembered me from the one time I'd been there back in 2007 because, of all things, my red hair. Apparently my paranoia about it making me stand out like a sore thumb isn't a totally irrational fear if someone can remember me more than two years later after a brief encounter merely because of my hair.

Anyway, she asked if there was something in particular I was looking for in the book. I explained that I was trying to get a better understanding of mania and hypomania. I keep hearing about anger and irritability with Bipolar, but haven't yet read anything that helps me understand how that relates to mania.

Time was limited, but we talked for a good half hour and covered a lot. We have similar histories, so it was helpful that she understood where I was coming from. She asked if I'd be willing to come to one of their care & share meetings, where they split up into groups. I told her about my anxiety issues, especially with groups and she understood but said she hoped that I'd come sometime. Said that by attending those meetings and listening to others, I might find the answer I'm looking for.

It's so hard to relate to other people, which is one of the many things that causes me such great anxiety in support groups. I am going to give some serious thought to attending, though at this point I'm not sure it'll fit into the schedule with the kiddie being back at school and working.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations on moving forward and attending the support group. This is a HUGE accomplichment make sure to give yourself the credit you deserve.

I always preach education is the key to "recovery" the more you understand the easier it is to see the signs in yourself.

Remember you are not alone, i'm pretty sure others who attended that meeting had the same anxiety.

Be kind to yourself & move at your own pace. Always remember, just trying is an accomplishment even if you fail,

Be Well My Friend
~marcy~

12:59 PM, August 27, 2009  
Blogger Ari said...

I hope the meeting was helpful for you. It's great that you went.

I understand about wanting the correct diagnosis. People always tell me not to focus on the labels but there is something to be said for knowing what you have.

I attended one meeting of the DBSA in my area. I can't go anymore because it conflicts with my schedule. I thought it was helpful.

Keep well.

2:33 PM, August 27, 2009  
Blogger Handsome B. Wonderful said...

You said:

I realize everyone keeps telling me to quit focusing in on the diagnosis, but for me, knowing what's really wrong is part of working towards a plan to get better. If I had physical symptoms that were incapacitating, I'd sure as hell keep going to the doctor until I got a proper diagnosis.

And I couldn't agree more. Once you know your correct diagnosis you feel understood better. You don't feel so up in the air. It's hard to be able to feel better if you don't know what your correct diagnosis is.

So I don't understand people saying the labels aren't important!! As you know medication requires are quite different between conditions.

3:10 PM, August 27, 2009  
Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

I think going to the group was a great step. I hated groups to begin with, but it does get easier, and I found it was actually more helpful to start connecting with people because of the commonalities - after all, they are in a similar boat and they tend to "get it" more than others.

6:42 PM, August 27, 2009  
Blogger TexAss said...

Oh wow...I wish there was a group like that here. There might be but I'm too lazy to find it. Have you ever read "An Unquiet Mind" or "Touched with Fire" by Kay Redfield Jamison? Great books that talk a lot about mania. Which book are you reading now?? I relate to you because I'm always trying to find out as much as I can about bipolar. I've read tons of books, articles, etc. but can't seem to stop. There is always something out there I have not yet read.

12:06 PM, August 30, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home