Friday, January 07, 2005

Asked an odd question

I have this "friend" from online. Not really sure I can call her a friend, acquaintance might be a better word, since I know very little about her. From what I know, she seems like a sweetie, but it's really hard to judge someone's character just by reading their font on the screen. Anyway, she's a nurse in a psych hospital. Have no idea what possessed me to do this, but I sent an email asking an odd question. Wanted to know if the staff would get in trouble if someone commits suicide while inpatient if they use something they brought in with them that the staff didn't find while they do their person & belongings inspection upon admission. She has yet to respond, somehow I don't think she will. But I'd be curious to know the answer. I'd hate to be in that situation and get someone else in trouble just because I'm hell bent on offing myself. I always need to be prepared...I should be a fucking boyscout.

2 Comments:

Blogger Polar Bear said...

They usually do pretty thorough searches on patients during the initial intake. It is very hard for them to miss something. But very occasionally, it does happen. I managed to hide a knife in my shoe once and they only found it after I used it to cut myself out of the restraints I was in.
I don't think the nursing or intake staff will get into trouble for missing something. They'll just chalk it up to the fact that the contraband thing (whatever it is) was so well hidden that they couldn't have found it.

7:57 PM, January 09, 2005  
Blogger Miss Defective said...

I did hear back from my friend, though I truly hadn't expected to. She said the staff would be reprimanded if contraband was found. She also said that if someone managed to kill themselves, the people that would get in the most trouble would be the ones doing the 15 minute checks. Least that's how it is at the hospital she's at.

Last time I was inpatient I had a razor blade on me that they never found. I managed to refrain from using it so they never did know about it. I just firmly believe that if someone really wants to die, they either will always be prepared or will find a way...regardless of where they are. Not even the hospital is safe.

12:09 AM, January 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home