Friday, February 09, 2007

Someone came to their senses

Received another email today from the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention about the GM ad. Looks like someone finally came to their senses and GM has announced it will pull the ad and revise it, removing the suicide attempt scene, before airing it again.

Here's further information:

AFSP Reaches Agreement with General Motors Regarding Super Bowl Ad

I personally haven't commented on the ad one way or another because as I stated, I haven't seen it or any of the other ones aired during the Super Bowl. I don't think it's appropriate to make light of suicide in any way, shape or form, even if there was "no intention to offend anyone" as the GM spokesperson originally stated when they said they wouldn't pull the ad.

While I would hope no one would commit suicide simply because they watched a commercial in which a robot saw it as a way out, I know from first hand experience that being in a suicidal state clouds all rational and reasonable judgment, and a person ends up looking for any validation, any sign, that their choice to go ahead with suicide is the right one. I know someone could easy look at that commercial and think to themselves that even a major company thinks suicide is the best option if you're a fuck up.

I would have preferred that GM hadn't taken its original stance to continue to air the ad despite complaints, but I do applaud them for finally making the right decision to pull it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Handsome B. Wonderful said...

I'm glad they pulled it. I saw it that night during the Superbowl. The robot was VERY expressive and it nearly made Lori and I cry!!! It's an AWFUL message to express. And certainly not sensitive to the mental health community.

4:45 PM, February 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home