Saturday, April 28, 2007

Video of the week - Sum 41

Decided to go with a Sum 41 song because we bought tickets earlier this week to this year's Q101 Block Party, which they will be playing at again. We didn't go last year because I was busy having surgery at that time. I'm not even sure if they held it last year and if they did what bands played, but we did go to the one in June of 2005.

The 2005 show was a near disaster because it was outdoors, rain or shine. All the other bands got to play, but before Sum 41 could take the stage, a pretty severe thunderstorm came through. Since they had forecasted potential showers, I did come prepared and had two Hefty garbage bags in my purse. Figured they'd be easier to bring because I didn't want to get stuck carrying around an umbrella, plus most concerts don't allow you to bring in umbrellas anyway. Yes we looked silly as hell wearing garbage bags, but at least we were dry, unlike most of the people that stuck around. A lot of people came up to me and commented on what a brilliant idea it was to bring the bags. Said they wished they had been creative and thought to do it.

The lightening was pretty bad and the kiddie was quite scared. She wanted to leave because it didn't appear that the weather would ever let up, but I insisted we stick around. We'd gone there to see Sum 41 and I didn't want to miss them if they were able to eventually play. I forget how long the storm lasted, but it seemed like it was at least an hour, if not longer. Once the sky cleared, the band was able to take the stage. Unfortunately because the show was being held on the grounds of a YMCA in an area surrounded by houses and apartments the show had a curfew and they were only able to play 5 songs, but it was so worth it to stick around.

This'll be the fourth or fifth time we've seen them in concert and they always put on an awesome show. The other bands playing the Block Party this year on the night we're going are Good Charlotte (we've seen them three times in the past), the Violent Femmes (a nice blast from the past), the Bravery and one other band I can't remember the name of because I don't think I've ever heard anything by them.

Anyway, Sum 41 hail from Canada, or as I say...Canadia. I first heard of them in the summer of 2001 when their cd "All Killer No Filler" was released, which was their second cd, but the first to get any real airplay. I liked them from the moment I heard the first single "Fat Lip" and have been a big fan ever since. This particular video is for a song off their third cd, "Does This Look Infected?" They are getting ready to release their 5th cd this summer and I can't wait. Kind of sucks that it won't be released until AFTER we see them next month (just like the new Linkin Park cd won't be out until AFTER we see them a week from today), but I know we'll enjoy the show anyway.

I know some people are going to recognize the lead singer of the band, Deryck Whibley, and might not remember where they know him from. His face was plastered all over magazine covers last July when he wed his longtime girlfriend, singer Avril Lavigne.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home