Friday, November 30, 2007

Busy isn't always better

Busy, busy, busy...that's how this week has been, and it's not necessarily a good thing. I feel exhausted, both mentally and physically; and if I could stay in bed for the next week I probably would. I did manage to complete most of the tasks I had planned for the week, though not without a shitload of anxiety to accompany them. I'm now just waiting to hear back from my case worker at the public aid office, waiting to get some kind of answer from Social Security since the person I talked to couldn't answer any of my questions and waiting to hear back from several of the kiddie's teachers. I also forgot to get an oil change, so I'll have to remember to do that next week while I'm out.

Started working on plans for the kiddie's Sweet 16 birthday "weekend" in early January. It's a little longer than a weekend, we'll be celebrating for four full days. Somehow I managed to snag third row center tickets to the final performance of Phantom of the Opera. I would have thought all the good seats would be gone by now, but I guess people are too busy planning Christmas and New Years instead. The kiddie and her best friend, who's spending the "weekend" with us, are both beyond excited. If we did nothing else the entire time except see this musical, they'd be thrilled, but it's such a special occasion, we'll definitely be doing more.

We'll be getting a hotel room in the city, near the theatre district. Got one picked out, just need to see if they'll offer me an even better deal and then make the reservation. The room price is already discounted cuz it's after the holidays, into the off season (if Chicago ever really has an off season), but I'll try for a better rate. As I've said before, wheel & deal with room rates. You'll be amazed at what they'll offer you. They'd rather let the room go for a low rate than to have it sit empty.

We're dreaming big with this "weekend". I told my daughter to think of anything and everything she'd like to do since she only turns 16 once. We'll price it all out and do what we can afford. Ideas we've come up with so far include...taking a limo from our house to the hotel, going to a spa & getting messages and/or manicures, getting all dressed up & eating dinner somewhere fancy like the Signature Room on the 95th floor of the Hancock building, going to Tiffany's to get my daughter & her best friend matching bracelets or necklaces as "party favors" (they actually do have some stuff that isn't too expensive), going ice skating a Navy Pier, and going to one or more of the museums.

One day will definitely be spent shopping. Might not buy anything, but we'll spend it wandering from store to store. I'm sure the kiddie and her friend will probably have some money from Christmas burning a hole in their pockets.

Right now we're planning a birthday dinner for the night we check out of the hotel, one that her boyfriend and father (don't ask) will be joining us for. I'm going to ask her if she'd rather wait to do that until her actual birth date, which is several days later. We're doing everything else early cuz the kids are still off school and so we have free time galore to do whatever we want. I'd just like to do something special on the actual day as well, even if it is in the middle of the week.

If I can bring myself to cash the check I've been sitting on for over a month, I'll probably spend the money I got from my folks for my birthday on my daughter. Nothing I could buy for myself would make me as happy as using it to do something nice for the kiddie. She deserves it, far more than I do.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

wow! busy few days you've got planned there. i think you guys are going to have so much fun together.
phantom was a really good show

9:05 PM, November 30, 2007  
Blogger Marie said...

Sid, glad to hear you are keeping busy! In the midst of all the hustle and bustle try and take some time for yourself to reenergize!

11:30 AM, December 01, 2007  
Blogger annabkrr said...

Busy girl!! That weekend sounds great! I bet the kiddie is super psyched about it.

Sometimes I get so busy that I have a hard time remembering what to do next! Ha.

Big hugs your way Sid.

:)

9:30 PM, December 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home