Friday, February 10, 2012

Newsflash

Can I just say...I really hate it when people blame all winter-time depression on the weather. I've mentioned to several people that my depression is getting worse and the first thing out of their mouths is "oh, everyone hates the winter weather, you'll feel better as soon as it warms up".

Here's a newsflash, some people actually like winter. I happen to love winter. I love the cold and snow. I love skiing, ice skating, having snowball fights and building snow castles. The most depressing season to me is summer. I hate the heat and humidity. I can't swim, so I don't enjoy all the water sports and activities.

When I try to explain this to people, they just look at me in disbelief. They either assume I'm lying to them, or they look at me as if I've just told them I've killed their mother. Mouths agape. I understand that I'm a rarity when it comes to loving winter weather, but unless someone specifically tells me they suffer from S.A.D. (seasonal affective disorder), I would never assume the weather had any bearing on their depressive state. I would just try to be supportive and not negate or minimize how they're feeling. I don't think it's too much to ask others do the same for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristy said...

Did you know you can suffer from SAD in the summer? I love winter also but not this winter. The cold and snow just isnt there this year to do the fun stuff you mentioned this year where I live. Usually we enjoy many feet of snow and we just have maybe less than a foot with mostly ice. One thing I dont like about the winter is the lack of light and how dark it is. I notice my mood is getting better because it is Feb. Used to be a gorgeous time to get out as winter settles but this year I'm crammed indoors. I need to do something about it. I love the fresh brisk air in the winter and havent fell in love with winter this year. Weird winter.

6:48 AM, February 11, 2012  
Blogger Polar Bear said...

I love winter too, so I understand. People sometimes do tend to attribute mood to the environment which doesn't make us feel any better really. I know someone who always says something like "oh, I know, I can't sleep either,and I feel low....it's too hot, or it's too cold, or whatever...."

1:38 PM, February 13, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home