Tuesday, May 03, 2005

First boyfriend

The kiddie has her first boyfriend. A kid she's been friends with asked her out today. Don't think I've ever seen her so giddy. This is one apple that got thrown far from the tree, because she's nothing like me. I was painfully withdraw at her age and had no interest in dating. Of course I was painfully ugly too so it wouldn't have mattered.

I allowed her to be giddy, she deserves it and it warms my heart to see her happy. I so wanted to tell her that dating really isn't worth the aggravation at her age, but I guess I have to start allowing her more freedom to make her own choices and mistakes, with some guidance of course. I will have a talk with her about a few things though.

1) Limiting what personal info she shares with this kid. Tell her that she shouldn't share anything she wouldn't want the whole school to know. You never know what's gonna happen when they breakup.

2) Tell her to respect herself and not do anything or be prodded into doing anything she is not comfortable with, even kissing. She needs to think for herself.

3) Do not focus solely on this kid and forget her friends. Relationships will come and go, friendships have more staying power if you devote time to them.

4) No guys allowed in her bedroom.

I'll probably bring up other things when I talk to her. I'm just drawing a blank right now.


Think they're planning a first date for Friday since there's no school. Probably the movies, the mall and/or the roller rink. Wonder if this means I don't have to keep handing the kiddie money for all these activities. Wonder if her new bo will pay sometimes. I have no clue how all this works at this pre-job age. Guess I'm about to be schooled.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm,that was the time when boys just started noticing me,only I wasnt use to it.I had just come out of the fat ugly duckling stage and it felt very strange but wonderful.
Of course you never really get over those bad feelings about yourself,you always have kind of a complex and feel kind of awkward even after you come out of that stage.You sort of have to learn to look at yourself in a new way.

But I think thats a special time when boys first start asking you out,and a girl never forgets her first date.

Billy

12:48 AM, May 04, 2005  
Blogger Polar Bear said...

Those are excellent points you raised, Sid.

Talk to her about those. They are important points for her going out on her date. I think you are a great mom.

Polar Bear

1:36 AM, May 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home