Monday, March 06, 2006

Convo with pdoc

Here's part of the conversation I had with my pdoc today...

pdoc: Would you be willing to sign a release so I can get your medical records and discharge information from your last hospital stay?

me: For?

pdoc: Huh?

me: What do you want them for?

pdoc: So I can see the progress notes the other pdoc wrote and why you didn't have more ECT.

me: I can already tell you why, I scammed my way out of the hospital.

pdoc: (Shocked & disturbed look on face) What do you mean?

me: I played all upbeat & shit (without over doing it). Pretended I was better so they'd release me.

pdoc: They didn't want you to continue ECT after your release?

me: No, but I wouldn't have done them anyway.

pdoc: (sits there in stunned silence, not sure what to say)

me: ECT is no longer an option for me, I refuse to subject myself to any more of those.

From the look on his face I think he was none too happy with my confession. Felt good to tell him, but I have no idea what that means for my future treatment. Once I get on Medicare and can go back to the hospital he works out of, will he be reluctant to release me if I end up hospitalized again? Will he question whether I'm really well enough to go home or just acting? Guess we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

You might write a Psychiatric Advance Directive explicitly stating that you do not wish any more ECT. Here in California, they have to go by your wishes. This is also true of other states. Be sure to designate a reliable caretaker in the event you are incapacitated.

I've also declared that I will not allow them to hypnotize me for the purpose of "recovering memories". There's evidence to suggest that that can worsen or even create PTSD. No thanks, say I. I have had enough of that.

4:47 PM, March 06, 2006  
Blogger mizeeyore said...

i dont blame ya one bit.

the one thing i remember being drilled into me when i was working as a nurse assistant was that the "Patient's Bill of Rights" meaning a patient has the right to refuse any kind of treatment, invasive procedures, and also have the right to leave the hospital AMA (against medical advice). so dont worry about the doc. at least you were honest enough to tell him. how he reacts is not your problem; you exercised your rights and there really isnt anything he can do about it, except put it in his notes that "patient refuses Tx procedures" (Tx: therapy/therapeutic).

i say good for you *smile*

12:43 PM, March 07, 2006  
Blogger annabkrr said...

He was shocked you didn't want ECT? WTF is wrong with him? Jeez. That would make me curious why he wanted to read those notes, he want to compare them or something? Good for standing up for your rights as a patient. Goodness knows you have to these days!

7:27 PM, March 07, 2006  
Blogger Joel said...

For the record, while I oppose the ECT, I say "Don't fuck 'em". You don't know who else they have been sleeping with.

12:26 AM, March 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home