Saturday, September 30, 2006

Conflict

Often times I feel like I'm the idiot in the world. That I'm the one that has it all wrong and I probably do most times. But then there are the interactions with others that leave me wondering if I'm smarter than I give myself credit for. Do I give better advice than I'm willing to accept for myself? Is the logic I perceive in my head understandable to anyone but myself?

I was stupid though, in answering the post. I knew it would only start a conflict with someone else. You can tell when a person is so rigid in their thinking that nothing you say can convince them to view things from another perspective. They believe they are right and everyone else is wrong, so why even bother trying to talk to them. I get that rigid at times. I think a lot of people do.

But I didn't keep silent. I thought I was helping and now I'm screwed. If I don't respond again, I'll be perceived as having been beaten, that I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. The reality is though that I know this person is never going to look past the little world they're living in and see the bigger picture so why bother to make any further comments which could end up moving us towards a major argument. They already ignored most of my comment and focused solely on what I didn't say, rather than acknowledging the truth in what I did say. That right there shows me trying to talk to this person is a no win situation.

You can't reason with the unreasonable. You can't open the mind of someone that's slammed theirs shut. I should have kept silent. Maybe belonging to a group isn't for me. I hate having to deal with other people, especially when it involves conflict. It's like trying to debate with a brick wall....pointless.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was the comment made on a blog or in person?

It's always hard to give advice to those who don't really want it.

And you DO give good advice and are always a steady pair of shoulders for me to lean on.

11:35 AM, October 01, 2006  
Blogger Polar Bear said...

Conflicts will always happen. And some people are simply not receptive to input. It's not about what an idiot you are, but it's about THEM. You can't change other people, even with all the good intentions of the world. Sometimes i think it's easier to just keep my mouth shut too. But at least you tried, and I applaud you for that.

3:09 PM, October 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home