Monday, November 06, 2006

Elections

Spent this evening preparing for the elections tomorrow. Read up on where the candidates stand on different issues and did my best to choose the ones I feel have the most to offer and the ones who might actually follow thru with their plans once they reach office. Had to write all my choices down so that when I get to the polls tomorrow I won't completely forget who I want to vote for.

I haven't been a registered voter for very long. Registered just before Bush came to office for his first term. Shame on me for not having registered when I was 18, but when I was younger I was too busy working, clubbing, drinking & having sex to care about politics. Now, I'm almost sorry I am registered.

I actually hate to vote and I'm sure many people are with me on that. Why? Because 99% of all politicians are self-absorbed, power-hungry crooks thinking of no one but themselves. The only person I've voted for so far that I honestly feel is working for the people rather than his own personal agenda is Barack Obama. Voting isn't a matter of am I a Republican or Democrat, because there are things about each party that I hate so I refuse to vote along party lines. Most of the time it's a matter of voting for the person you think is the lesser of two evils. That's not how it's supposed to be, but that's what it's become.

What I've hated about this particular election is the fact that the Republicans are desperate to hold onto Congress and the Democrats are desperate to gain control of it. Unfortunately, I happen to live in one of the districts that could potentially change the face of Congress, as it is a tight race between the two candidates vying for the seat currently held by Henry Hyde, a Republican who is retiring.

As a result, I have received dozens of phone calls every day for the last month. Some automated, but others from campaign workers asking if they can count on my vote for so & so. Can I just say, I am so sick and tired of the phone ringing. I cringe every time it does. Why doesn't the national "DO NOT CALL" list apply to elections???? These people are just as fucking annoying as telemarketers.

So tomorrow I'll head off to the polls like a good citizen and cast my votes for the lesser of the evils. That includes voting against one candidate for no other reason than the fact that his campaign people called my house way too fucking often and it pissed me off.

Maybe I should retitle this post "when the crazy bitch votes".

2 Comments:

Blogger Marie said...

Our election day is on Tuesday. Oh I can't wait until this election is OVER!!! After tomorrow we Nevadans will no longer have to listen to thoes annoying commercials.

12:44 AM, November 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off, I love the name Sidney!

About the elections, my GAWD that they be any more tortureous? I'm like you, I don't vote party lines & this election I know I voted for at least 5 different parties. I don't even look at the name or party (well, except for a few) but read what they're about & decide on that.
Okay, this is what I've done to stop the phonecalls. I've registered as an Independent. That way, I'm on neither of the big party's lists. Another thing is we have caller ID & to call thru, you have to show the #. So when we see 800#s calling, we know it's them & don't answer. ;)

8:35 PM, November 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home