Thursday, November 30, 2006

FOAD Thursday...yay!




I'm a little late with this, but technically it's still Thursday here in Chicago so I'm going to write it anyway. Haven't joined in on FOAD Thursday for awhile because of all the other crap going on in my life right now but this pissed me off too much to let it go.

I actually tried to write this up earlier, but as Jane said in her FOAD post...Fuck Google. I've never had so many problems logging into Blogger until Google took over. Now it's hit or miss if I can log on, view other people's blogs or leave comments. But alas, that's not what I need to rant about.

This FOAD is dedicated to the stupid fuckhead in the Cook County Sheriff's department that thought it would be a brilliant idea to set up a "seat belt enforcement" check point at a busy intersection during the morning rush hour. Um hello? Isn't traffic in the entire Chicagoland area already a big enough pain in the ass without making things 100 times worse by pulling this idiotic maneuver??

Who the fuck cares if someone does or doesn't wear their damn seat belt? I know I certainly don't. If I or anyone else wants to risk their life by not wearing one, shouldn't we simply be forced to take whatever may come from our own stupidity? We're not hurting anyone else, we're only endangering our own lives. If someone dies as a result of being a doofus for not wearing their seat belt, we should consider that natural selection shouldn't we?

I've heard all the arguments about why we should have these seat belt laws in the first place, particularly the "it saves lives" one. But the real reason this is even a law anywhere is because it brings in money. That's it. It's all about the money. The people that passed these laws don't really give a shit about saving lives, they're fucking politicians, they don't give a shit about anyone but themselves.

Why not enforce the more important violations like all these mother fuckers out there running red lights or speeding? Or what about having more drunk driving check points? I have never once come across one of those, even on the drunk holidays like New Years Eve or St. Patty's Day when supposedly they have them all over. Wouldn't focusing on those things bring in far more revenue AND reduce accidents, which in turn will also save lives? How about spending taxpayer money on catching murders, drug dealers, rapists, child molesters, the real criminals instead of pulling granny over simply because she didn't bother to put her seat belt on?

This is the second "seat belt enforcement" check point I've run into this week. The other one was at least in a less congested area, it was a block away from my daughter's high school. Luckily it was on Monday and I had to drop my daughter off early so I got there just as they were setting up, rather than after they started backing traffic up with their pathetic waste of police resources.

While I find it to be incredibly stupid, I honestly don't really mind that there is a seat belt law, because I wear my seat belt 99.2% of the time, so I'm not worried about being ticketed for breaking such an idiotic law. I do mind however that they're wasting my money and time by having these check points simply to make sure everyone is buckled up. Fuck off and die to everyone involved in setting these check points up.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cie Cheesemeister said...

As a trained EMT, I think there should be enforced seat belt and child seat laws. HOWEVER--I think that watching for drunk drivers is a hell of a lot more important than looking for people who aren't wearing their seat belts. And making sure that children are in child seats is too.

1:14 AM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Blogger is CLogger.

8:11 PM, December 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home