Friday, April 06, 2012

My interpretation

Darn, missed a day! I knew I should have gotten my butt out of bed early and wrote something before heading downtown yesterday. Instead I dragged ass all morning until about 2 pm when I had to leave.

The kiddie and I went to see the musical Fela! yesterday. It's produced by Jay-Z, Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith. Neither me nor the kiddie fully understood what the whole thing was about. Suppose we should have read up on who Fela was before going. Since we didn't know the story, we didn't know there were flashbacks in the performance, which just made us even more confused. Still haven't read up on what it was about so here's my interpretation:

Fela was this guy from Nigeria that wanted to explore the world so he moved to other countries like England. He became fascinated by the music he heard and combined it into something known as Afrobeat. He returns to Nigeria and sets up a bar where he plays this new music. He eventually forms a commune around the bar and has multiple wives. For some reason the authorities raid the compound, kill his mother by throwing her out a window and torture his wives.

How much of that I got right, I'm not sure, but I think that's the gist of it. I do know it's based on a true story. There really was a man from Nigeria named Fela that invent Afrobeat and the authorities really did throw his mother out a window.

The music was great and so was the singing. There were a lot of powerful voices up on that stage. I didn't appreciate the audience participation though. They had the audience stand and try to dance along. I'm sorry, but I pay you to perform for me, not the other way around, so the kiddie and I remained seated.

A lot of people left at intermission, including the couple next to me. I had thought about leaving early myself, but we stuck it out until the end. I have to say that I'm glad the woman next to me left. She weighed some 300-400 lbs and she was spilling over, taking up at least a quarter of my seat. Having never had the experience of sitting beside someone that large before, I now understand why airlines make larger people buy two seats. I'm sure she was just as uncomfortable as I was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home