Monday, July 09, 2012

Anxiety and panic attacks continue

While the rage has subsided, at least for the time being, the anxiety and panic attacks continue. I refrained from drinking yesterday and instead took 3-4 Ativan to help calm my nerves. At one point I even tried taking a shower because the sound of running water sometimes helps ease the panic. As an added bonus, the running water, combined with the noisy vent in my bathroom, helped to drown out the neighbor's music.

Today I've already taken two Ativan (my prescription is for 1-3 per day) and I have a feeling I'm going to take a few more before the day is over. I briefly left the house this morning to drive my daughter to work (yes, she finally has a job, didn't I mention that?), and thankfully traffic was light and for the most part people weren't driving like complete asswipes, except the two dickheads that blatantly ran red lights.

The kiddie and I reached an agreement where I will no longer push her to learn to drive my car. I'm sure at some point in her life she'll get a license, but for now it's really not a necessity. Her knee problems would make it quite difficult at times for her to drive an automatic, but it would be even more difficult to drive a manual transmission where she has to use both legs all the time. She moves into the city at the end of next month and since she receives a CTA pass for unlimited rides as part of her tuition package, she can just take public transportation. She's only a couple of blocks away from one of the L stops.

As much as I think I'm ready to have her move out, I'm not sure how I'm actually going to handle things once she's gone.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ativan was a godsend to me, unfortunately I liked it too much, and was taking about 6 a day. Taking a shower is one of my favorite ways to hide from the world. My daughter's psych just put her on Xanax XR for her panic attacks. It's a one-a-day med, is that something you could do?

7:26 AM, July 10, 2012  
Blogger Miss Defective said...

I've tried Xanax in the past but it had absolutely no effect at all. Not sure if an extended release form would have a different result, but I will ask my pdoc about it.

4:23 PM, July 10, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home