Friday, November 18, 2005

Met my lawyer

Met with the lawyer tonite at his house. He was nice enough to let us meet there since he lives in the same town. That way I didn't have to drive all the way into the city or take the train in. He's a nice guy. Sounded young on the phone, like he was 20 something, but he's probably in his 40's or 50's.

There's a mountain of paperwork to fill out thanks to the new bankruptcy law. Fortunately I think it won't be too hard since I have all our credit reports and most all the paperwork related to our debts. The ex said he'd sit down with me and help me fill them out too, so we'll probably go to the library next week sometime so we can spread out and work.

The one relief I got from meeting this guy is that he took the name & number of the other lawyer that's harassing me about my credit card bill. He said he'd call the guy tomorrow and I shouldn't ever get another call from the guy. When I told my parents I was meeting with the lawyer today, they told me the harasser called again this past Saturday and again said he was taking me to court. They withheld that information because they didn't want to worry me. Don't know why the fucker called again. He already told me he's taking me to court, though from what my lawyer told me, they'd just be wasting time and money doing it since they can't collect anything from me and it'll just get discharged with my bankruptcy.

So to get started on all this, the ex and I need to do the credit counseling. Our lawyer gave us a list of places to call or go online at to do that. It'll be free for me but the ex will have to pay about $100. Then once we receive a certificate that we've completed that (we were told it only takes about an hour), and we have the $274 to cover the court costs, we can get to work on having all this crap filed. The lawyer said from the time we file to the time we get our debts discharged will be about 4-6 months. So by summer, the only debt I'll owe is the monthly payment on my car. Though that's been the only debt I've been paying as it is.

The ex is gonna surrender his car and get a beater for $400, so his monthly expenses will diminish a lot and he'll finally be able to give me child support. That'll be nice. I'll be able to afford a place of my own then.

I'm tired as hell. Been so stressed this week I haven't been sleeping much, even with taking my meds that usually knock me out. I'm supposed to do the community suicide walk thingy tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I'll make it. I got info about registering for the national walks they're doing next year in Chicago & San Fran, so I think I'll shift my focus to those and give myself a break for not walking tomorrow. I want to help out with both walks, but doubt I'd have the money to fly out for the San Fran one.

One last thing before I sign off tonite, Fern asked what a Love Sac was that I mentioned in my 101 things about me. It's like a bean bag chair, except it isn't filled with beans. Click on the link to go to their website. They're actually pretty cool & comfy. Think we have the 5 or 6 ft one, can't remember which.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marie said...

I enjoyed reading this blog. I got this link from Shannin. I suffer from PTSD. I recently lost my job because of it. I started a new medication on Wednesday we will see if it helps. I guess being off meds can make you do some pretty weird things. It is a sad reality for me to face I am mentally ill and I need medication to even get out of bed in the morning.

I have a blog it is lasvegasmarie.blogspot.com. Please check it out when you get a cahnce.

12:12 AM, November 20, 2005  
Blogger gabbi said...

Actually they are not allowed to harrass you and let them know it. At least when you've filed bankruptcy you give them the trustee's number and they won't call again! You'll start feeling better once the debt is taken care of, promise!

11:33 AM, November 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home