Monday, July 03, 2006

More on the news front

Since I don't really have anything going on in my life right now that I care to write about because I'm tired of bitching about this damn implant (I'm now experiencing nerve pain down my right side, but again it's hard to pinpoint the cause...could be the implant, could be the spinal problem); I'm going to continue on the news front and comment on stuff I've read.

I was on Yahoo reading the news as I always do when I came across this article: Obesity Linked with Mood and Anxiety Disorders. Another study funded by NIMH. Why are our tax dollars being wasted on fucking stupid ass studies like this? Doesn't common sense tell you that weight gain in depressed and/or anxious people can be contributed to the lack of energy to do anything, the medications they're on and/or even drowning their sorrows in pint after pint of Ben & Jerry's? Doesn't common sense also tell you that some fat people are unhappy with their self image and therefore become depressed about it? I'd bet my left tit that there is NO biological factor involved here. Did someone really need to be paid to figure out the obvious??

After I clicked the link from Yahoo to NIMH's site, I found this article: Targeted Therapy Halves Suicide Attempts in Borderline Personality Disorder. Being that it is one of my diagnoses, I had to read what it said. First off, I'm so tired of hearing that BPD effects mostly young women. The symptoms may typically start at a young age, but from my experience, most of the people I've met or chatted with that have BPD are in their 30's or older, and weren't officially diagnosed with BPD until much later in life.

Anyway, this study confirmed my suspicions about DBT. Its focus should not be so much on borderlines, but on anyone with any mental illness that is dealing with suicidal thoughts. Yes borderlines do have a harder time with emotional regulation, but I think that on some level it plays a part in every mental illness, and certainly plays a part in the impulsiveness of suicide. Hopefully this study will expand the use of DBT because I do believe it has its benefits.

I think the whole self-injury aspect though needs to be removed from DBT. I never once believed that this form of therapy would work to alleviate self-injury, just as the study proved. The roots of self-injury lie far too ingrained in those that partake in it and groups cannot focus in on the causes because they vary so widely amongst individuals.

1 Comments:

Blogger Polar Bear said...

I'd agree that BPD affects people of all ages. It is more commonly found and diagnosed in younger women. This is not to say that it is ONLY diagnosed in younger women, because sometimes thanks to incompetent pdocs and mental health professionals, BPD may not be diagnosed until the person is older.

My first pdoc suspected I had BPD, but never mentioned it to me. I was in my late teens/early 20s when I first saw her. I'm not 33, and I STILL fit the criteria for BPD. So there goes the theory that if a person survives all her suicide attempts and stays alive into her 30s or 40s, she will essentially "recover" and live a more stable, normal life. As you say, we are all individuals and our circumstances differ.

Take care, Sid.
Polar B.

3:18 PM, July 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home