Saturday, July 01, 2006

We're all mental

First it started with everyone suing everyone else over the stupidest shit. "Your dog shit in my yard and I had to pick it up which caused me distress so want $2 million from you" or "This company didn't warn me that coffee is hot. It was a no brainer that it'd be hot since I didn't order an ICED coffee, but I can't be held responsible for being too stupid for my own good. I ended up burning my tongue so I want $50 million from them".

These days, they're now trying to make everything a "mental disorder". There's no self accountability in today's society. None. Zip. Zero. Nadda.

Today I learned that if you rage and break stuff or hurt people, it isn't because you lack self control. It isn't because you're stressed and/or frustrated. It isn't even because you happen to have a really bad temper. It's because you have Intermittent Explosive Disorder.

That's right, the latest trend in the blame game is to take a negative action and retitle it, repackage it with "disorder" at the end. You can read the article here, which was actually funded by NIMH, the National Institute of Mental Health.

Does this mean that there is now an insanity defense for all the spouse and child abusers out there? I can see it now..."I'm sorry judge, I didn't know what I was doing while I was beating the crap out of my child, I suffer from Intermittent Explosive Disorder."

Does that mean all my swearing isn't really a lack of control or revealing an immature speech pattern, but is really Unremitting Obscene Language Disorder?

As John Stossel of 20/20 would say...give me a break! Or as I would say, give me a goddamn mother fucking break!

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I'm with you on this all.

Where has self-accountability gone?

7:43 PM, July 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home