Monday, April 09, 2007

New book & other news

Bought a book today at Barnes & Noble that I came across purely by accident. I was looking in the music section, hoping to find a more current book on the Warped Tour because the one we purchased at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame was published in 2002 and therefore only covers the earlier years. Turns out there isn't a new one, though you'd think they'd have published one to coincide with the exhibit at the Hall of Fame (guess it's just me that thinks in these logical ways).

Anyway, the book I did buy is called I Hate Myself and Want to Die by Tom Reynolds. Of course it was the title that caught my eye because at first glance it sounds like something that would be under the psychology/psychiatry section. A memoir written by someone deep in the throws of mental illness. Turns out, it's a book about "The 52 Most Depressing Songs You've Ever Heard".

What I like about it is the eclectic mix of songs he's selected for his 52. Some of the songs include Mandy by Barry Manilow, The Shortest Story by Harry Chapin, I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston, My Immortal by Evanescence, Strange Fruit by Billie Holiday, One by Metallica, Artificial Flowers by Bobby Darin and Love Will Tears Us Apart by Joy Division (fitting they should be included because the singer, Ian Curtis, actually did commit suicide).

But unlike the title may suggest, this is not a depressing read. It's actually quite funny. In reference to the song Beth by Kiss he writes "...the song "Beth" made audiences realize that Kiss didn't just do hard rock songs that sucked hippo poop. They were also capable of doing poignant piano ballads that sucked hippo poop." I had to laugh at that because I've never been a Kiss fan. They lack something I typically like in the bands I listen to...talent.

If you like music and like to laugh, I recommend the book and I've only read a few parts of it. I'm thinking the witty quips can only get better, especially with chapters like "Horrifying Remakes of Already Depressing Songs" and "I'm Telling a Story Nobody Wants to Hear". Can't beat the price Amazon is selling it for either, only $4.49.

In other news, the ex didn't bother to see his daughter again this weekend, using the same claim he has the last couple of times, that he's sick. I'm beginning to think "sick" is a global excuse with a variety of other meanings. This week I'm thinking that it either meant he's broke and couldn't afford to get the kiddie anything for Easter so he'd just avoid her instead; or in response to my request for money, he thinks that if he doesn't see her and cuts off contact then he isn't responsible for paying child support. Who knows. He's become a totally different person from the one I married and I just don't understand his thought patterns any more.

A different concept for my blog layout came to mind while I was out driving around earlier, but I haven't had time to work on it yet. Don't really have much to do tomorrow so I'll probably get it set up then. Hopefully I can get it to look much better than this one. I know I got some yay's on the look, but I'm the one that doesn't like it and I'm the one that sees it the most, so I get to change it. This is a monopoly ya know. Oh the power!!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

People can become so fickle. My ex proved that one. At least the kiddie has one parent she can rely on.....one day he'll wake up and realise what he's missed out of her life.

The book sounds cool - I may have to go out and buy it! The name Tom Reynolds rings a bell...can't think why just now though. lol.

3:32 PM, April 10, 2007  
Blogger annabkrr said...

I swear to God, our ex's have got to be brothers!!

Where'd you get the jeaders you are using on the new template? I love them! My new template is better than the old, but still so effing boring. I wish I knew how to do a template myself!

5:58 PM, April 10, 2007  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

That book reminds me of another like that. It was called "How To Ruin Your Life," by Ben Stein.

8:37 PM, April 10, 2007  
Blogger Miss Defective said...

Anna,
I make the headers myself.

9:54 AM, April 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home