Saturday, May 27, 2006

A lotta boasting

Technically there is only one day left of school. Monday's the holiday, Wednesday all the 8th graders are taking a cruise on Lake Michigan during the day, Thursday is the recognition/award ceremony during the day and then the graduation at night. Tuesday is the only day they'll be in classes all day, though all they'll be doing is passing around yearbooks and taking lots of pictures.

I'm proud of my daughter's achievements this year. Being selected to attend the Gift & Talented Academy, playing first chair in the spring orchestra concert, getting a poem published, making the Principal's list every quarter and so many others, big and small.

Her final achievement though is one I can't wait to see. She is one of three students chosen to read a speech at graduation. The committee that picked her included the Principal and several English teachers. Each of them have approached her to say that the speech she has written is by far the best speech they've read and selected in the last few years.

What amazes me about this child I've brought into the world is how different from me she is. I would NEVER have given a speech and even refused to get up in front of the class when we had to do reports. She's driven to succeed in life, not to impress anyone else, but just to be proud of and happy with herself. I only did well in school in hopes of getting attention from my mother and when it finally became evident it would never work, I gave up.

She has an infectious laugh and knows how to surround herself with supportive, healthy people. I typically kept to myself at her age, and still do. She's willing to take risks and if things don't go as planned, she pulls herself back up and trudges onward. Only risk taking I do is when I'm behind the wheel of my car. And when things don't go as planned, I see it as just another brick piled on top of me to keep me down.

She's an amazing girl and I am so proud to say...she's MY daughter.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im glad your daughter is doing such a good job and is so confident. I really wish you wouldnt put yourself down this way.
I understand your fears though. I couldnt give speeches either, nearly passed out once, had to stop and go to the bathroom.

Were afraid of failure and cant deal with what comes when we do I suppose.
I am glad your daughter doesnt have that problem. It just proves what a good mother you are. See ya.

Billy

3:29 AM, May 27, 2006  
Blogger Polar Bear said...

Sid
You have such a beautiful, talented and wonderful daughter. You have every reason to be proud of her. I'm sure that she is where she is today because you have done all the right things for her. Well done, for that!
Take care
Polar

8:29 PM, May 27, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Awww, this is such a beautiful post. There are some positive traits of you that your daughter must have taken after you. You may not realize it or see them right now, but they're there, I'm sure. And the fact that your daughter has come this far and done so well is partly because of the wonderful support you have provided her as her mother.

You're amazing, too, Sid. Don't you forget that!

Cinthia

10:14 PM, May 27, 2006  
Blogger Maggs said...

Save that post and put it in her baby book.

11:11 PM, May 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home